In case of green roofs, there are three types of vegetation. The classification depends on the way of use, technical conditions and type of construction. Each type requires various types of plants and different maintenance. In practice there are three types:
- Use of perennials, shrubs, trees.
- Flat or cluster orientation of plants which are grouped according to height.
- Plants used for intensive vegetation are extremely requiring when it comes to soil. They need to be regularly watered and fertilized.
- Intensive vegetation makes sense only when a professional and careful maintenance can be provided.
- This type of vegetation includes grasses, coppices and shrubs covering the ground.
- Range of variation and use is limited.
- In comparison to intensive vegetation, here, plants require less irrigation and fertilization.
- This type of vegetation is designed to be self-growing and self-sustaining. The plants are resistant to weather conditions and they have abilities to regenerate.
- Plant palette includes herbs, stonecrops, and different types of grass and moss. It develops independently.
- It doesn’t require much maintenance (once or twice a year).